Monday, August 25, 2003

Monday, Monday

The problem with modern society, especially if you're a writer, is that there are far too many distractions. Internet, bad Sunday television, boyfriends, the gym, family...okay, well, some of those don't have anything to do with modern society; some of those are just part of society. Still, I didn't get a single thing written yesterday. Oh sure, I stared at the computer screen most intently, but I feel like I've been looking at the same scenes and words for so long that I can't change them. Or don't have the energy to change them.

"Family Circle" (you know, the comic strip) had it pretty accurate today. The oldest son is sitting there with a piece of paper about 3/4 full with writing. And he says "I don't know how J.K. Rowling does it; I can't even fill one page." Doesn't that just sum it up? See, the thing is, I know I can write a lot. I have 230+ pages of a novel I started years ago. Unfortunately, I had it rejected twice, for fairly good reasons. But it seems that my other ideas don't want to cover that kind of ground. Or maybe these new ideas are just not organized enough. I don't know.

The "Buffy" rerun that's on right now is the split-Xander episode. Ever feel like split-Xander? Perhaps there's someone out there who can lose these obnoxious 25 pounds just by willing them away, who writes every day, beautifully and prolificly, and is on her way to having her fifth book published. She's wooed a commitment-phobic boyfriend and is planning an intimate, Congregational wedding. Oh, and did I mention she's already done with her Masters and has the love and respect of all her students? Yeah, see, my double is way cooler than me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home