Monday, January 31, 2005

Darth Tater

I am winning over some students, while losing others. I don't know if that's progress, or just inevitable. Nothing more on the subject.

I went to the gym today! I of course came home and ate a small bowl of light alfredo noodles, but go me! 40 minutes of cardio and I've got about a 1/4 of my book left that is my "gym" book. I don't read it any other time, hoping that will inspire me to keep going to the gym so I can find out what's next. "Ancestors of Avalon"...a prequel to "Mists of Avalon." It's actually not too bad; better than what I've read lately.

I have surprisingly little to do tonight, other than write another poem for my juniors. I'll probably stare at my story some more and see if it's willing to talk to me. Or I could do laundry. Or clean my room. But the latter don't sound very exciting, do they? Of course, the former might drive my precariously-balanced mind that much further over the edge.

My father is playing a song called "Perfectly Good Guitar" by John Hiatt right now. I shall post the lyrics as an adieu:

Well he threw one down form the top of the stairs
Beautiful women were standing everywhere
They all got wet when he smashed that thing
But off in the dark you could hear somebody sing

Chorus:
Oh it breaks my heart to see those stars
Smashing a perfectly good guitar
I don’t know who they think they are
Smashing a perfectly good guitar

It started back in 1963
His momma wouldn’t buy him
That new red harmony
He settled fgor a sunburt with a crack
But he’s stI’ll trying to break his momma’s back

Chorus

He loved that guitar just like a girlfriend
But ever good thing comes to an end
Now he just sits in his room all day
Whistling every note he used to play

There out to be a law with no bail
Smash a guitar and you go to jail
With no chance for early parole
You don’t get out tI’ll you get some soul

Chorus

Late at night the end of the road
He wished he stI’ll had the old guitar to hold
He’d rock it like a baby in his arms
Never let it come ot any harm

Chorus

1 Comments:

At 2/03/2005 1:40 AM, Blogger JRRyan said...

My dad sings that song too. He also sings "Act Naturally" and "Heard it in a Love Song". Heaven forbid these P&W guys get together and form a band. I mean, I'd go see them...but in disguise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home