Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Book Reviews

Dhampir by Barb & J.C. Hendee is actually a really good romp. There are vampires, there is angst (as is almost a prerequisite for vampires), there are sword fights and there's repressed romantic feelings. There is also a book 2.

The Short and Bloody History of Knights, Spies and Pirates by John Farman is an informative young adult book about, well, knights, spies and pirates. Lots of interesting tidbits about all three groups of people.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. What can I say about this book? Anathema gave it to me as a Christmas present and I started reading it in Texas. It is one wild ride, and I think it deserves another reading, but I'll come back to it after I've read some other things. The short short version--it is a book about a former convict who gets trapped in something entirely beyond him.

Girl with a Pear Earing by Tracy Chevalier. Dendera was totally right about it. I started it yesterday and finished it about an hour ago. Could not put it down. Disturbing, but beautiful, and powerful.

Total side note: the episode of "The X-Files" with the Tea Leoni and Gary Shandling is on right now. Hee hee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home