Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Music Match Game

Okay, here's a recap for those who don't know how this works: I'm going to post random lyrics from 10 songs on my playlist. Using the COMMENTS feature, you take a guess as to what they are. When you get it right, I strike out the lyric and give you credit. I'll probably do it again when all 10 of the first set are guessed.

Have fun!

I. You're on this date with me,
The pickings have been lush,
And yet before this evening is over you might give me the brush.
You might forget your manners,
You might refuse to stay,
And so the best that I can do,
Is pray.
Luck Be a Lady from Guys and Dolls; guessed by Bulky

II. Keep your filthy paws
Off my silky drawers
Would you pull that crap
With Annette?
Look at Me from Grease; guessed by Bulky

III. And just outside I can see my breath in between
The words that fog my spinning head and I can
See the sun coming up.And it's just light enough to see
Another cigarette that I just lit
As I pass the 53rd St. bridge right
Now the world just seems too big the world just seems too big.

IV. You've been talking
But believe me
If it's true you do not know
This boy loves without a reason
I'm prepared
To let you go

V. Now if I help you
It matters that you see
This sordid kind of things are
Coming hard to me
It's taken me some time
To work out what to do
I weighed the whole thing up
Before I came to you

VI. I didn't hear you leave, I wonder how am I still here,
I don't want to move a thing, it might change my memory
Oh I am what I am, I'll do what I want, but I can't hide
I won't go, I won't sleep, I can't breathe, until you're resting here with me
Here with Me by Dido; guessed by Meredes

VII. The unread book and painful look, the TV's on, the sound is down
One long pause, then you begin, oh look what the cat's bought in

VIII. Is it possible the female member of some sex on a couch
Could like get this guy all hot and she never even knew it?
When a warm-blooded mammal in a tight little sweater
Starts pullin' that stuff, is she sayin' that she wants to do it?
-Reproduction, Grease 2; Guessed by Anathema

IX. Under a lover's sky
I'm Gonna be with you
And no one's gonna be around
If you think that you won't fall
Well just wait until
Till the sun goes down

X. Baby, I'm so into you
You've got that something, what can I do
Baby, you spin me around, oh
The earth is movin, but I can't feel the ground
Everytime you look at me
My heart is jumpin, it's easy to see

5 Comments:

At 2/23/2005 6:03 PM, Blogger Anathema said...

Alrighty...I know VIII off the top of my head, I'm going to go deal with dinner but after I shall take a loser look. VIII is from Grease 2. It's the Sex Education song...dear lord that was a bad movie... :)

 
At 2/24/2005 1:52 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

The first one is Luck be a Lady from Guys and Dolls. The second one is "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" from Grease.

 
At 2/24/2005 3:30 AM, Blogger JRRyan said...

Hi Karen! And A++! Song VI is Dido's "Here With Me" a song that surely resonates within every female when she hears it...and sighs about that special someone...who probably got away...

 
At 2/24/2005 2:53 PM, Blogger Tusc said...

G'ah! Show tunes! ...and Dido! You can't just spring that stuff on the unsuspecting public like that. I damn near had an aneurysm. You must post proper warnings, or you expose yourself to liability claims and hospital bills... nevermind the MTV Poor Taste Award.

So many love songs and their ilk, is it possible to expand even a portion of your musical horizon to new genres? I only ask because I have this strange reflex action that induces rage when exposed to some of these songs.

Plus, can you kindly translate some of your song quotations for the male viewers? Just like the Far Side comic about what we say versus what dogs hear (and you can take this reference as far as you like), girls think differently about songs and what they say versus what guys hear. So maybe something like dum-dum, da-da-da dah dah, da da-da.... dum-dum, da-da da-da...

Now... how many of you recognize this as the opening to Black Dog? And who can name the band?

 
At 2/24/2005 4:41 PM, Blogger Anathema said...

OUCH!Can I just point out that all music has a point behind it? Having dealt and interacted with music snobs on a daily basis in ugrad, let me be the first to point out that yes, some music types are bubble gum candy sugary garbage.

And we love them anyway. Because sometimes it's nice to just listen to that stuff - it doesn't make you think overmuch, it evokes surface emotional responses and sometimes that's EXACTLY what we need. It's like cotton candy - it's not good for you but it won't hurt you as long as you eat other stuff too!

Having said all this - I enjoy a whole host of musical types - classical, rock, pop, showtunes, folk, blues, you name it. No need to attack other musical preferences after all!

Try the game on my blog - I did the full 30 songs. It's a mixed bag, tho I left off some of the more esoteric songs.

Oh yeah - Led Zeppelin by the by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home