Saturday, May 07, 2005

Apathy, Thy Name is Teenager

Wow. I want everyone to reflect back on their high school dances. Did you go them? If so, what kind of time did you have? Do you remember your prom? How was it?

Okay, let me tell you about my night: I got to the school at 7, 1/2 an hour before the dance officially began. A few students were already filing in. They sat down at the tables and stared at each other, because the DJ wasn't set up yet. Some came out to get their pictures taken. Eventually, the DJ started, more kids arrived and...nothing happened. The first hour of the dance saw about 5 people on the dance floor, 10 at the most. This was partially due to the fact that we couldn't turn the lights off. You know how it is...if the lights are on, no one dances. ANYWAY, we eventually sorted out the light situation, and then some kids finally got out on the dance floor. But, I would say half of those attending spent the entire night sitting at their tables, staring at their dates. In my opinion, the DJ sucked. I am still rather "hip" to what the "kids" are listening too, and I can tell you...the kids really didn't recognize much of the music. He also played ALL of the same type of music. My school population is very diverse. Why is it that DJs/clubs can't just play the songs you dance to in your car while you're driving around? I don't think that's too much to ask.

It was really quite sad. I am hoping the seniors are a little livelier.

1 Comments:

At 5/07/2005 11:09 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I remember our dances being big drama-fests, with Beth D. hiding in the bathroom, having deliberately worn non-waterproof mascara so she could look tragic, and complaining that her mascara was running. Everyone cried in the bathrooms at dances. I occasionally went and hid up in the girls' locker rooms hating everybody. Didn't go to prom - junior prom, couldnt afford it, and senior prom was the night Tim and Paty came home from Honduras, so, oh well.
Teenagers suck, wot?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home