Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Guilty pleasures

Engaging in one of my guilties pleasures--the egg roll. This is why I love chinese food. Well, that and the noodles. But the egg roll is heavenly.

Horrible sophomores were horrible as per expectations (they stole a stack of blank detention forms...like that somehow makes me less likely to give them?), but my other kids (once I removed a particularly vocal student) were actually really into a conversation we were having about all sorts of things. After a few interruptions, I got them to really listen to each other. It was a beautiful thing. This kid that I had to kick out...the problem with him is that when he does something, and you punish him for it, he immediately gets all "well what's that about?" and tries to get you to justify your punishment in the middle of class. That is 1) not the time for it, 2) not really neccessary and 3) disruptive. So I kicked him out. It's not like I kick a lot of kids out, just the same few who cannot seem to behave.

Anyway, I'm not sure how tomorrow's lesson will go, but I'm going to start the book with them on Friday and then give them a little bit of homework over the weekend.

Juniors are still bucking Poe, even though we're doing "The Fall of the House of Usher." I just couldn't get 'em to shut up after lunch and so I had to assign more homework than was the plan. I think I'm too easy on them...well, I know I am. But isn't it better to get them to do little chunks of something than not have them to do any of it at all? At least, that's the theory.

As to the fiasco that has been so recently broadcast...let us just say that I'm not going to be indulging in the Ben & Jerry's therapy I'm sure we all thought was forthcoming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home