Sunday, January 02, 2005

F'ing Vikings.

They lost. To the Redskins. I could have just reposted my angry entry from last January when they lost to the Cardinals. Assholes. They're like the Mets of baseball; they tease you with the belief that they'll get there and then they...choke. Or get abducted by aliens. Or...I don't know. Addendum: they made it to the playoffs, but only because someone else lost. Morons.

Anyway, I was a good girl and went to the gym this morning and did my weights routine. It actually wasn't too busy, considering it's the new year and everyone has got their resolutions. Of course, I was there at 8:30 in the morning. After that I went to see "Ocean's Twelve" with the bf, then came back to the house and started planning lessons for my seniors. I'm working on Lesson 4, which translates into either Wednesday or Thursday, depending on which of my two classes we're talking about. I'm going to take the first week to do Act I, but after that I might start assigning some of it for homework, because otherwise I'll be teaching "Hamlet" for the rest of the freaking year. And even I would find that tedious after awhile.

Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend.

3 Comments:

At 1/03/2005 1:32 PM, Blogger Tusc said...

Hamlet!? Tedious!? For shame! Ok, maybe it's just me... but that was the ONE book I found interesting to read in school. The rest were all classic 'pieces' of literature which dealt with teenage suicide, pregnancy, suicide, rape, suicide and rape/homicide/suicide. I always thought of that as being in EXTREMELY poor taste to essentially plant ideas in the minds of those high schoolers who were having personal issues. It has always been my belief that these stories, pumped into our young students, make these topics more popular. If they're going to discuss rape, suicide, etc... it should be in a proper forum where a trained social worker explains the reality of it, not some artistic representation that glorifies the drama. But I digress...

Hamlet, like, totally rawks dude! To be, or not to be? Not to be, motherfucker! They's dead. They's ALL dead.

I think it'd be cool to explain the whole story in gang terms. NOT the way it was done by the kid from Titanic, but use references or terminology from San Andreas where applicable. Tie it in with something else they think is cool and you'll at least draw a few more kids into it. At least, that's how I'd do it. "Yeah man, like remember in Gladiator where the new Ceasar kills his father to take the throne and then assassinates Maximus' wife and son while trying to have him killed? That's what the King has done... AND he's married the Queen... so picture the creepy Ceasar marrying his sister... Maximus wanted revenge and kicked. his. ass. That's what Hamlet's all about, guys. Revenge." Ok, so there's more to Hamlet than that, but you get the idea. Appeal to modern interests (killing, sex, more killing and sex...) and then fill in the holes from there.

That's all I can say for now (lunch!). TTYL

 
At 1/03/2005 1:34 PM, Blogger Tusc said...

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius. Commander of the armies of the North, general of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next."

Sorry, I love that line. Had to say it!

 
At 1/03/2005 1:34 PM, Blogger Tusc said...

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius. Commander of the armies of the North, general of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next."

Sorry, I love that line. Had to say it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home