Sunday, August 15, 2004

The Redeption (or not) of Marius Pontmercy

As a mildly well-read person, I have distinct opinions about certain characters that I encounter. It would take quite the rendition of a story, or quite the argument, to make me change my mind about any given character.

We all know how I feel about Paris. Lancelot has only been redeemed in one version of his story--"King Arthur" of late. Guenivere is 50-50. While Kenneth Branaugh does one of the better Hamlet's, I still think the character is utterly hopeless and just needs to get on with it already!

Marius Pontmercy of "Les Miserables" was also one of these characters. I had never liked him, no matter how much I loved the musical, or how many times I saw it. I thought he was a wealthy brat who treated Eponine like dirt. Didn't like Cosette much, either, but that's not really here nor there.

Then I began to read Hugo's opus, and when Marius was introduced, I actually felt a bit bad for the bloke. Dead mother, taken from his father, crazy grandfather and aunt raising him. He was beginning to have redeemable, dare I say, even likable, qualities.

But no. Once again, my pre-conceived notions of the character were dead-balls on. He's got himself all ready to save Valjean (who he doesn't know is Valjean, but whatever) from the Thenardiers (who he doesn't know are the Thenardiers) when he goes all Hamlet on us and decides to "wait" to see if he can learn any more. Valjean could be killed and he's waiting to satisfy his...whatever--Dead father's last wish? Morbid curiosity? I haven't decided yet. At any rate, his putz status has been re-established.

I'm on page 813 of 1463, so my opinion might yet change again. But I wanted to rant about this idiot.

1 Comments:

At 8/17/2004 7:33 AM, Blogger LadyVader said...

Let me at 'em! I could teach...cross-over 101 or something. Hmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home