Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Reviews

Let's start with books. I read this book called "The Shadow of God" which is about the siege of a Greek island during the 1500s. Not a bad book, but there were several blatant typos. Not "only an English major would spot that" typos, but really obvious ones. Let's give it three out of five stars. The story jumped around a bit more than I would have liked.

Also read "Under the Black Flag," a sort of synopsis of piracy during its hey-day. Definitely a very interesting book, which taught me a lot that I did not know, but the author was fixated on really old pirate movies. The book was published several years before "Pirates of the Caribbean," but there were pirate movies between that one and say, the black and white silents, you know? Four out of five stars.

Onto movies. While in Canada, my cousin and I rented "Down with Love." Now, I thought this movie was funny and appropriately mocking, but she didn't appear to appreciate it as much. Still, you get to hear Ewan McGreggor sing, which is 100% NOT a bad thing. Three and a half out of five stars.

Also went to see "The Village" once I got home. It was very like Shamylan's other work, and yet very unlike it as well. Joaquin did a good job, as did Blythe Howard. I won't say any more about it in case some of my readers haven't seen it yet. Four and a half out of five stars, mostly because it's a little slow to get started.

And finally, we have "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle." Oh my goodness, this movie was laugh out loud funny. The humor was definitely on the "American Pie" level of sophistication, but laughing at stoners is fun. Four and a half out of five stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home